Saturday 10 September 2016

Running Away

Running - its bad for your knees so why bother?




A fitness myth, untrue, inaccurate, misconception... a lie! However you want to say it, its not bad for your knees/joints. Recent studies show that there is no direct link to running and bad knees, in fact the opposite is true, running strengthens your knees (and other joints).

Orthopaedic surgeon Jonathan Chang, says 'exercise appears to stimulate cartilage to repair to minor damage. Impact of body weight when the foot hits the ground increases production of certain proteins in the cartilage that make it stronger.'
Obviously if you've had a knee injury that has required surgery, running can increase your risk of knee arthritis.

- Regular exercise has also been proven to help reduce the risk of age related mental decline. In stroke patients, regular exercise improves memory, language and judgement problems by up to 50%.

- Running can help prevent cancer. In the Journal of Nutrition it shows through numerous studies that regular exercise is associated with a lower risk of certain cancers.


For me running is my therapy. If I've had a bad day, or something has annoyed/upset me I put on those trainers and I go. I don't always have a plan of where it is that I'm going, I just keep going until my mind clear (or I get lost). Personally I prefer running outside, I get bored running on a treadmill. I love the feel of the fresh air on my skin and the rain in my hair. Plus... what's there to look at on a treadmill!?


A strong core goes hand in hand with running. The ability to maintain proper form as you begin to tire is a direct result of a strong core. Some of my favourite core exercises are:
- Plank
- Ab Crunches
- Leg Swings
- Plank Sprints (Bring one knee up to your chest while keeping the other leg extended. While bringing the leg back to plank position bring the extended knee to your chest. As if your running on the spot)