Saturday 26 December 2015

Christmas in the Hawker Household

I love hearing about how people celebrate christmas, everyone has different traditions, passed down from grandparents and great grandparents. 



Christmas Eve me and my friend always go out for a drink. Now we don't go crazy, we go to the same bar every year, get a bottle of Prosecco and leave around 12.30. I don't understand people who go out and get trashed on Christmas Eve, why would you want to be hungover and tired on Christmas? It doesn't make sense to me. 


Christmas day we wake up around 9 - 9.30 and all go downstairs, my dad peers his head around the door into the front room and says 'oh santa's been'.
Mum and Dad sit on one sofa, my brother sits on the other, and I sit on the floor by the tree. Its's my job to hand out the presents.

Once all the presents are open, we have breakfast. Our traditional Christmas breakfast is Croissants and Bucks Fizz. 


The table is then cleared and its time to open stockings and presents from Santa. Before I open my own gifts I sit on the floor with my dog and open all of his presents. He gets so excited because he can smell all the treats he's about to get. Once all the presents are open its time to get dressed. 
As a family we all walk into town to the old pub on the high street and have a drink. Seeing as it was raining this year my dad decided it would be better to drive, which was fine by me as I didn't want to ruin my outfit. We only have 1 or 2 drinks, wish everyone a Merry Christmas then head home. 


As soon as I'm home I get into my sweats and watch a film with my parents, and of course some chocolate is eaten and Champagne is consumed.

Now in my family we don't have Christmas dinner on Christmas day. Instead we have party food. Mum doesn't like turkey and doesn't want to spend all day cooking, which is fair enough. Plus we have a roast every sunday, so we like to have something a little different for Christmas. 

Boxing Day my Aunt & Uncle come over as well as my 2 Cousins, so we can exchange gifts. This is when we have our Christmas dinner.



'Christmas isn't about what's under the tree, but who's around it'